Renewing our spirit....

Ok, so I am totally exhausted, and up way past my bedtime, but I had to write a note to let you all know of the amazing event we got to be a part of tonight. We were able to go to the Sanctus Real/ The Afters concert. Thanks to my friend Jessica Longest, we also got to meet the bands. I have to share this experience with you because I believe the whole evening was carefully orchestrated by God just for us. I believe God set the way and made the plan for us to be there. It wasn't until Wednesday that we were offered tickets, by Jessica, and then Thursday she offered to let us meet the bands. I don't think she could possibly understand what that meant to me. Thank you so much Jessica. Sanctus Real (Matt Hammitt in particular) wrote the song "All of Me" that we had played at Eli's funeral. So tonight we were able to thank Matt personally for the song that he wrote that meant so much to us. God may have made this all come together just for us, but I kind of think Matt needed it too. I know for me it is always encouraging to hear that something I have said or done, touched someone. He said that he was so thankful that he could just be a small part of it all.

During the concert Matt told the story of his son Bowen, and his life threatening condition (why he wrote the song). He started off the story by saying something like "I know there are people out there who have been through some things recently, you know who you are..." And we both knew he was talking about us. Richie wrote him a letter explaining what had happened, and why his song meant so much to us. As he spoke about his son, and recounted the darkest moments of his life, the similarities were uncanny. Just the way he felt, the anticipation of awaiting news about your child; it took me back to the time we had with Eli. I was flooded with emotion. I was reminded in a big way that God was still with me. He has never left me alone. Then, in the darkest days of my life, and now He is still here. Even a friend of ours from church who was there recognized the meaning of what he said, and the significance of the fact that we were there. He was kind enough to leave his seat and come down to see if we were ok. He said to us " I just had to come and see if you were ok. How weird is it that you all were here tonight." It wasn't just weird, I think it was meant to be. Thanks Jeff Wicke!

The entire night, with all the bands, the theme of their songs seemed to speak directly to me. They were all about getting through the valleys, and trusting God in times of hardships. One song by The Afters "Light Up the Sky" was about how when we are in our darkest moments God is still there. And sometimes God has to do something big to remind us that He is with us. I think that was what tonight was about for me. God had to put a big sign in front of my face to say "I am still here"

This is a verse Matt read at the concert and I love it!! 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever."

2 comments

  1. I enjoyed this very much Brooke....Praise the Lord. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, feelings and christian encouragement to all of us. Love, Karen Westfall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thank God that you all were placed in that place at that time. This was most definitly orchestrated by the Almighty. I really enjoy watching and hearing how God is working through all the pain. There was a plan all along. Thank God for lil' Eli. He is changing so many people by your story. Brad and I are always here for you all. Love you bunches. Sheila Mook

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top