Chicks, Eggs and Bunnies... and so much more!!

Grant and I were riding in the car the other day and the song "Hero" by Abandon was on. He had heard this song a few times, but never really talked about it before. To be honest I didn't even know he really listened, or paid attention when the radio was on. In case you have never heard the song I will put the words here:
"He walked the dirty streets. Famous for nothing.
He said “come follow me” and they came.
A face like all the rest.
But something was different.
The Son of God would lead the way.
And soon they all would say.

There He goes - a hero. A savior to the world.
Here He stands with scars in His hands.
With love He gave His life so we could be free.
The Savior of the world.

He spoke with clarity. Walked across the sea.
A single word would calm the storm.
His touch could heal the sick, but He was called a hypocrite.
Laid behind the stone. His death was shortly mourned. He left the curtain torn.

There He goes - a hero. A savior to the world.
Here He stands with scars in His hands.
With love he gave His life so we could be free.
The Savior of the world.

He choose to take the cross. Shed tears for the lost, the broken, and the needy.
Forgiving those who were and will be.
The angel made it clear. He told them have no fear.
He’s not here. He’s not here!

There He goes - The Hero. The Savior to the world.
Here He stands with scars in His hands.
With love He gave his life so we could be free.
The Savior of the world. The Savior of the world. The Savior of the world."

After the song was finished Grant says "Mommy is that song about Jesus?" If you read the words you know it never says his name in the song. I don't know how he knew, but I was so happy he did. It just melted my heart to know that he heard all these things that Jesus did, in the song, and knew it was about Him. Then he says " Mommy can we pray to Jesus in the car?" After I said sure he said, "Ok close your eyes (while I am still driving, haha) Dear God, thank You for Jesus. I would like to pray that the Easter bunny comes to Heaven to bring you Easter eggs. Amen." How sweet!! After I laughed under my breath I asked him if he knew why we really celebrated Easter. He said no. I realized at that point that we had talked about eggs, bunnies and baskets a lot more than we had talked about why we really celebrate Easter. Of course I know we celebrate Easter to remember Christs sacrifice for us. But I wondered where all the other traditional Easter stuff had come in. Every reference I could find about the origin of using eggs and bunnies had something to do with new life. They all had some reference to rebuilding, or rebirth of life. The egg is a symbol of new life. 

Although that may seem like an obvious or simple idea, but I had never really thought of it that way. We often talk about being thankful for, or celebrating Christ's ressurection; but do we really think about what that means for us? I know I didn't. It wasn't until my own life needed rebuilding that I saw the significance of "new life" in the holiday traditions. Don't misunderstand me here, I realized the reality and the significance of salvation. But I have to tell you that no matter where you are in your life right now, Christ can rebuild it. Because of His sacrifice we can have a new life. That is so amazing and wonderful to me. This is a message of hope. There is always hope, no matter what you are going through. Christ can change your life, no matter what shape it is in. You are never too far gone to be rescued.

I will say that today was not easy for me. I promised no sad post this time so I will spare you the sob story. However I want you to know I don't put this message of hope up here lightly. It is not always easy for me to see that there will be better days for me. There are moments in my life where the sadness over takes me like a tornado. But in those moments God is always there to calm the storm and remind me that there is still hope. Even today I felt His presence all around me. I felt His peace reminding me that I do have a hope for tomorrow, His name is Jesus!!


Mark 16:6 "Don't be alarmed." he said. "You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him."

Psalm 39:7 "And so Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you."

No comments

Back to Top